Saturday, January 8, 2011

Exploring Instructional Design Blogs

Donna Stone
Week One Assignment:
Application/Blog Entry
We don’t know what we don’t know………What Everyone Ought to Know About Instructional Design

The first thing I did when I was looking through Instructional Design Blogs was to take a look at the date of the last entry as I did not want to ‘waste’ my time looking at information that was not current.  This particular blog has not been updated since July 2008 so I should have passed over it immediately.  For whatever reason, I did not pass it over, and decided to read the blog and watch the video.  It was a fantastic demonstration about the fact that we don’t know what we don’t know as the author suggests.  The purpose of Instructional Design is guide learners through instruction with perspective and context.  Instructional Design is successful when it allows learners to focus on the right things by keeping instruction and objectives clear and obtainable.  The author writes that we are all learners and we are learning all the time.  The author, Tom, writes that Instructional design engages learners with clear and meaningful content.  Instructional design must provide information that is clear and has real meaning.  Once the learner understands what the objectives are they are more apt to have a positive learning experience. 

Visit the blog and watch the video, it will give you a whole new perspective on what learners look for when absorbing all the ‘stuff’ we throw at them through instruction.

This blog was listed under the title of Designing Impact: Top Most Viewed Posts of 2010
In this blog entry she discusses the Top 10 eLearning Elements: Going from Good to Great Design which contends that great instructional design needs to be clear and concise and have defined learning goals and measurable outcomes.  She also states that the learning goals should first be presented as a problem the learners must solve and that, that it must be something a learner will connect with emotionally and that the learner should be able to walk away from the instruction with skills they can use and share with others. 
I signed up to receive RSS feeds from this blog site.

 Education and Learning weblog
This blog is learning theory of choice is Connectivism.  This author’s contention is that through networking learners can ‘connect’ their brains to create ongoing and innovative problem solving solutions in this digital age.  The information in this blog is not as ‘heady’ as you may think and I believe will provide usable information on Connectivism for future assignments and inquiry.  I bookmarked the site but did not subscribe for RSS feeds.


I decided to explore this blog because the first line reads I am such a nerd.  Me too!  How could I not read about a fellow nerd?  This short blog entry gives a link to the Hypertext History of Instructional Design and to http://www.archive.org/ which is a site I like for their WayBack Machine.  Other than that, it did not have much else to offer.  It is more of a techy site with only one entry for Instructional Design.  So I move on….


This blog written by Dianne Rees is a writer and instructional designer, gives an explanation that she started this blog as a place to collect and organizing information and tech tools for instructional design.  I think that is a good idea.  I started the usual ‘clicking’ around and found one thing I have put on my new I.D. to-do list Live Binders.   It looked kind of cool and I will soon be Googling it once I finish this entry.
I did sign up to receive updates from this site.


IDEAS: Instructional Design for Elearning Approaches.  This blog seems a little too advanced for me.  I am just starting out on the path to successful Instructional Design and find a lot of what he wrote a bit over my head.  I did bookmark the page in hopes of looking back in the near future and being to connect better to his writings.  I did find a link to http://www.eduforge.org/ an Open Source learning lab that I have also added to my I.D. to-do list.  If I keep adding to my list of things I want to check out I am not going to get much done this weekend.  One good link always leads to another!


Interesting blog. Okay I have been sitting at this computer for a while now so when I see that this blog has a link called JOKES you can only guess that this was the first link I clicked.  I will gladly share one of the jokes so as to add to your mental break, like it added to mine: 
What's the difference between roast beef and pea soup?
Anyone can roast beef.
Okay back to work………This blog is written simply but offers a lot of information.  It does not tax the reader with long drawn up explanations, but simple offers the facts.  I think I am going to like this blog.
It has a lot of entries to explore and links to other resources are provided.  Some of the information does not seem to relate to me at this time, but as I have said before, I am so new at this that I don’t know what I don’t know.  Ha!   My first entry for today and my last have a connection in theory. 

I had a bit to tech trouble signing up for a subscription to this blog, but was able to register for its newsletter.  I will check back in a few days to see if I can subscribe.


No comments:

Post a Comment